Corporate planning & finance course: Register TODAY!
Hot on the heels of Munis 101, the Elected Officials Education Program (EOEP) is offering its Municipal Corporate Planning and Finance course from February 16 to March 9, 2023.
The online course is offered to elected officials after regular work hours, via Zoom, to accommodate their busy schedules. It is an excellent opportunity for elected officials who are working towards their Municipal Elected Leaders Certificate to learn more about their role in financial planning and monitoring.
"This course laid the groundwork and gave me a solid understanding of municipal finances," said Angela Duncan, Vice President, Villages & Summer Villages, and Mayor of the Village of Alberta Beach. "It's a definite 'must-have' course for any municipal elected official."
Experienced EOEP facilitator and former municipal Chief Financial Officer Rodney Boyko will facilitate the interactive and engaging sessions.
The course provides elected officials with a solid understanding of their role in the municipal financial processes, including:
- How strategic planning, citizen participation, risk management and service levels and performance measures fit in the budgeting process.
- Council’s role in the budgeting process and how to ask good questions about the operating budget and capital planning.
- Funding streams, including tax, debt, reserves, grants and transfers.
- Council’s role in monitoring and evaluation with a focus on providing greater comfort around reading financial statements.
Here are the course dates and times:
- Thursday, February 16, from 6 to 8 p.m.
- Thursday, February 23, from 6 to 8 p.m.
- Thursday, March 2, from 6 to 8 p.m.
- Thursday, March 9, from 6 to 8 p.m.
To learn more about this course and register, click here.