2021 AUMA Award Winners Announced
Each year at the AUMA’s Annual Convention, outstanding municipal professionals from across Alberta are recognised for their collaboration, dedication and commitment to excellence.
“Alberta municipalities should be proud of their outstanding professionals,” says AUMA Interim President Angela Duncan. “We were once again impressed with the calibre of our award recipients. These exceptional examples of municipal leadership, collaboration, and team unity exemplify how, together, we can build strong Alberta communities.”
This year’s recipients include:
AUMA/SLGM Dedicated Senior Team Award: This award, which recognizes an outstanding municipal team that demonstrates service excellence and dedication to municipal government, has been awarded to the Senior Leadership Team, Town of Cardston.
AUMA/SLGM Dedicated CAO Award: This award, which recognizes a CAO for long‐term excellence and dedication to both municipal government and chief administrative management, has been awarded to Karen St Martin, Town of Mayerthorpe.
The Dedicated Senior Team and Dedicated CAO awards are co-sponsored by AUMA and the Society of Local Government Managers (SLGM), AUMA’s valued partner.
"Congratulations to both worthy recipients, CAO Karen St. Martin and Team Town of Cardston,” says Luana Smith, Chair of the Society of Local Government Managers (SLGM). “They demonstrate excellence and professionalism in public service in municipal Alberta and raise the bar for all of us.”
AUMA Distinguished Service Award: Presented to elected officials of urban municipalities who have served 20 or more years on municipal council, this year’s recipients include:
- Councillor Al Campbell, Town of Stettler
- Councillor Bill Chapman, Town of Coaldale
- Mayor Wm. (Bill) B. Robertson, Town of Okotoks
- Councillor Bob Foley, Town of Wainwright
- Mayor Bob Regal, Town of Grimshaw
- Councillor Clem Fagnan, Town of Westlock
- Councillor Connie Butcher, Town of Redwater
- Mayor Dennis Cassie, Town of Coalhurst
- Mayor Dwight Kilpatrick, Town of Redcliff
- Councillor Edward Sands, Town of Okotoks
- Mayor Gordon Reynolds, Town of Bow Island
- Councillor Jim Steinke, Town of Redcliff
- Councillor Kim Plaquin, Village of Breton
- Councillor Lyle Tuchscherer, Town of Bow Island
- Mayor Mel Smith, Town of Redwater
- Mayor Richard Ireland, Town of Jasper
- Mayor Robert Blagen, Village of Youngstown
- Councillor Rodney Pepper, Town of Valleyview
- Mayor Stuart Houston, City of Spruce Grove
- Mayor Tony Steidel, Village of Duchess
- Councillor Will Taylor, Town of Blackfalds
AUMA Award of Excellence: The Award of Excellence acknowledges outstanding civic leadership by either past or present municipal elected officials who have held office for at least three years in Alberta. This year’s winners are:
- Councillor Alan Hyland, Town of Bow Island
- Mayor Kim Craig, Town of Coaldale
- Councillor Wes Brodhead, City of St. Albert
AUMA’s Municipal Environmental Award: This Award recognizes member municipalities that have demonstrated excellence in environmental practices in their municipal operations, administration, and governance. This year’s Municipal Environmental Award goes to the following recipients:
- Municipalities with populations of 2,500 or less – Town of Bon Accord
- Municipalities with populations of 2,500 to 10,000 – Town of Rocky Mountain House
- Municipalities with populations of 10,000 or more – Town of Okotoks
Life Membership Award: This award recognizes individuals for their extraordinary contributions to AUMA over an extended period. This year’s recipients are:
- Barry Morishita, City of Brooks
- Ed Gibbons, City of Edmonton
- Maryann Chichak, Town of Whitecourt
Congratulations to this year’s award recipients!
Each year, we receive award nominations with examples of the excellence and professionalism of many individuals, who all play key roles in supporting their municipalities’ successes. Along with our partner, SLGM, we look forward to celebrating the winning municipal leaders and congratulating them at this year’s AUMA Convention & Trade Show from November 17 to 19, 2021.