Senior Manager, Human Resources
Strathmore is a vibrant, welcoming community that is recognized as a regional hub for business and recreation. Continued investment in recreation facilities, parks projects, commercial revitalization, and community programming provides an exceptional quality of life for our residents and visitors. Strathmore is in southern Alberta on the traditional lands of the Siksika Nation, surrounded by Wheatland County and a short distance east of Calgary.
The Town of Strathmore strives to be a leader in municipal administration and operations. Our team of experienced, engaged professionals deliver a diverse range of services and programs that continue to help us set new milestones for quality of life.
Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer, the Senior Manager, Human Resources is responsible for providing human resources leadership as a member of the Senior Leadership Team, ensuring outcomes are achieved that align with the overall strategic direction of the Town. The Senior Manager, Human Resources leads a team of professionals including a Payroll & Benefits Specialist, Human Resources Advisor, Occupational Health and Safety Advisor, and HR Assistant, with a goal of delivering and implementing best practices in human resources and health and safety. The role is responsible for building strong relationships with clients, providing transactional and strategic human resource services, as well as relevant and timely direction relative to all human resource matters.
You are the ideal candidate if…
- You value trust, relationship building, and ethics
- You have excellent internal and external customer service skills
- You have high standards for your work, with strong attention to detail
- You are an empathetic individual
- You are an out of the box, strategic thinker
- Leadership and interpersonal skills are your strong suit
- You have a sharp mind for navigating through a medley of situations
- You are passionate about equity, diversity, inclusion, and the overall health and safety of people in the workplace
- Partner closely with departmental leaders to provide exceptional customer service in the delivery of HR services, development of people plans/strategies, and support with tactical and strategic issues
- Oversee the payroll and benefit programs, and also the health and safety program which includes maintaining the Town’s Certificate of Recognition (COR)
- Lead the creation of a learning organization that encourages leadership development, talent management, and succession planning
- Develop human resource measurement protocols and reporting processes to align with and support organization strategic and business plans
- Initiate, develop, and lead innovative human resources plans and projects such as compensation and benefits programs and reviews, recruitment and retention, organizational and cultural effectiveness, employee coaching, training programs, and communication
- Diagnose organizational effectiveness/health and identify gaps and opportunities that impact business results, ensuring the alignment with the vision and values of the organization
- Develop and manage policy, providing proactive advice on the Town’s human resources policies and procedures in order to ensure fairness, consistency, and equity across the organization and minimize employment-related risk
- Lead human resource cycles such as compensation surveys, annual salary budgets and position reviews, performance management/employee relations, recruitment, career development, and workforce planning
- Manage/lead complex, high-risk, and sensitive workplace issues and conflicts, including human rights, terminations, disability leaves and investigations
- Effectively manage the HR team to accomplish HR department goals
Education and Work Experience:
- Post-secondary education in Human Resources, Management, Business Administration, Leadership or related degree from a recognized post-secondary institution
- CPHR Designation or ability to earn it within a prescribed period of time
- 5+ years of HR business/strategic partner experience, or a combination of HR strategic partner and client-facing experience where influence and strong judgement were keys to success
- Experience in the municipal government sector in human resources is considered an asset
- Thorough working knowledge of the Alberta Employment Standards Act, employment case law, Alberta Human Rights legislation, Alberta Occupational Health and Safety Act, and HR and H&S best practices are necessary
- Ability to use a variety of Microsoft Office applications. Previous experience with a payroll and HRIS such as Great Plains/Diamond is an asset
- Related experience with the annual HR budget process and budgeting software
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- 7+ years of work experience in the Human Resource field with proven experience working at senior levels
- Experience working in larger organizations managing the human resources for 100+ staff is preferred
- Experience in municipalities and the Municipal Government Act is an asset
- Ability to understand and deliver effective solutions regarding human resources processes, policies, procedures, and compliance efforts
- Superior relationship and consulting skills with the ability to influence change
- Strong analytical and time management skills
- Exceptional communication skills and adapting communication styles, effective listening, and excellent writing and presentation skills
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality and use high levels of diplomacy and tact
- Skilled in conflict management
The work week is Monday - Friday, 35 hours per week.
The Town of Strathmore total compensation package includes a competitive salary, a comprehensive insurance and benefits package with flexible spending component, and LAPP pension eligibility.
Please submit a cover letter and complete resume of experience and qualifications, quoting Competition TOS2022-39 to: email@example.com
This position will close at 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday, October 5th, 2022.
The Town of Strathmore thanks all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from all qualified individuals. We are committed to providing a diverse and inclusive work environment where every employee feels valued and respected. We will consider accessibility accommodations to applicants upon request.
This posting is intended as a summary of the primary responsibilities and qualifications for this position. The job ad is not intended as inclusive of all duties an individual in this position might be asked to perform or of all qualifications that may be required either now or in the future