Senior Communications Advisor
The Town of Cochrane is located in the breathtaking Bow Valley corridor in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains in southern Alberta. With a population of over 30,000 people, and growing steadily every year, Cochrane is a thriving town, surrounded by world-famous ranch country. Our western heritage is reflected in the Town’s architecture and our friendly people. The Town of Cochrane welcomes innovative and skilled individuals to join our team of over 250 employees.
The Town of Cochrane is excited to recruit for the position of Senior Communications Advisor. The Town is experiencing a cultural evolution that travels through the Communications team to the entire organization. And we are looking for innovative and skilled individuals to join our team!
The Town’s Communications team advise Town Council and the senior leadership team on public engagement and communications strategy and promote Town programs, services, events, opportunities and governance through the Town website, social media, advertising, publications, media relations and more.
Why should you consider working for us?
Our employees enjoy many benefits including competitive public sector pay, comprehensive health and dental benefits package, professional learning and development opportunities and the opportunity to work with other talented municipal professionals.
As an organization, the Town of Cochrane has a focus on investing in people. This is not a boring municipality. We are growing into an organization with a focus on transparency, critical thinking, curiosity, reflection and innovation. We support experimentation as part of the growth process and strive for continuous improvement. We are municipal employees, and we are accountable to all the residents of the Town of Cochrane. Want to be a part of this exciting time?
Ok, but what is a Senior Communications Advisor at the Town of Cochrane?
This person provides strategic direction on communications issues, projects and initiatives. They are accountable for the development, implementation and evaluation of communication strategies to enhance and promote the profile of the Town of Cochrane.
The day-to-day of the Senior Communications Advisor is fast-paced and varied. If you’re looking for a job where everyday is the same, this is not the job for you! You will strategize and collaborate with stakeholders. You will bring a fresh approach to solving challenges and sharing innovative ideas. Your proven communications experience will proactively influence both internal and external clients.
The Senior Communications Advisor is a trusted mentor in a small but mighty team. They will provide guidance and direction to these creative professionals and help review their work from a strategic lens. This team produces exceptional campaigns through print, website and social media. Each team members’ enthusiasm and passion for their work shines through as they strive to create optimal communication strategies for all clients.
If you want to make a difference in our community and have 5 years minimum of progressively more complex communications experience, and post-secondary degree or diploma in Communications, Public Relations, or a related field, we welcome your application for the Senior Communications Advisor.
As the Senior Communications Advisor, you will:
- Develop, implement and evaluate integrated strategic communications and public consultation strategies that effectively support the Town of Cochrane. Provide sound communications support, leadership and expertise to departments and stakeholders while managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- Provide coaching, mentorship and guidance to other Communications staff, under the direction of the Manager of Intergovernmental Relations and Corporate Communications.
- Produce tactics that effectively execute communications and public consultation plans. Develop and write corporate messages on complex corporate issues, including confidential or sensitive matters.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with key stakeholders, including local media, through proactive and reactive media relations.
- Display accountability through recommending and working within approved budgets, identifying issues and solutions, understanding client needs and reporting progress on outcomes.
- Align the communications needs of the organization with related internal procedures, communication protocols and legislative requirements.
- Support the internal communication needs of the organization through the development, implementation and evaluation of an internal communications strategy.
- Work to ensure the Town of Cochrane brand is maintained through the corporate visual identity standards, key message and corporate writing standards (CP style).
- Participate in a back-up capacity as the Emergency Public Information Officer, working with the Emergency Management Team to plan and deliver public information and emergency services during a disaster.
If many of the following characteristics and skills describe you, we want to meet you!
- Bachelor’s degree in communications or related field, plus five to seven years of progressively more complex communications experience
- Demonstrated ability in editing, print production, graphic design and/or web design, including corporate social media.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously.
- Experience in municipal government considered an asset.
- Membership and/or accreditation with IABC, CPRS or IAP2 considered an asset.
The Town of Cochrane is committed to providing a healthy and safe work environment for all employees. As a Town of Cochrane employee, you must take reasonable care to protect your health and safety and that of others present at Town worksites, perform work safely, follow all relevant health and safety legislation, Town directives and procedures and attend all identified orientations and training.
Still interested? Here’s how to apply:
• Qualified individuals are encouraged to submit your resume, and a letter stating how your experience match the required qualifications, skills and abilities for this position.
• All qualified candidates will be requested to complete an online suitability survey.
• Applications for this position will be accepted until 9pm MST January 23, 2022 at www.cochrane.ca/jobs.
The Town of Cochrane adheres to guidelines set by the Province of Alberta in response to the COVID-19 Pandemic. Interview logistics and working arrangements for successful candidates may evolve throughout the recruitment process. As of September 27, 2021, the Town of Cochrane requires proof of vaccination or negative testing for candidates and employees. More details will be provided to shortlisted and successful candidates.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. All applicants must be legally entitled to live and work in Canada.