This position will be required to perform duties of a specialized nature in water plant, wastewater plant, water wells, storm ponds, wastewater and storm water lift stations maintenance and operation. The Plant Technician II must be able to work with minimal supervision and occasionally will be required to perform a wide variety of duties and tasks associated with position descriptions of equal or lesser responsibilities.
In line with our Strategic Plan and workplace culture, Accountable, Connected and Excellence (ACE), this position will always be required to do the right thing and take personal ownership in contributing to the organization. The employee in this position must be able to communicate clearly and concisely and actively contribute to achieving team results. The incumbent must provide exceptional service to customers and internal partners and demonstrate initiative toward achieving organizational results and performance excellence.
- Will be required to complete testing and sampling water and wastewater in compliance with Alberta Environment, the Town and other governing body standards.
- Operate and maintain all associated treatment facilities.
- Will perform daily preventative maintenance on water plant, wastewater plant, water wells and lift stations.
- Act as a Certified Operator equivalent to the level of the Town Water Treatment and Wastewater Treatment plants as legislated by Alberta Environment and the Water Act.
- Responsible to follow maintenance programs, procedures and schedules set by the Town.
- Will be required to provide accurate reports and maintain a variety of records pertaining to their specific areas.
- Will assist supervisor with establishing and maintaining operational guidelines.
- Follow Town Safety Policy and OH&S standards.
- Will initiate along with the supervisor any tasks and projects identified.
- Will be required to work in a crew pool environment and may be required to oversee subordinate staff in the absence of the supervisor.
- Work closely with and assist Utilities Department.
- Will conduct plant tours as required.
- Will be responsible to participate in the emergency ‘on-call’ list.
- Will be required to work shift and/or weekends.
- Will be required to work during inclement weather conditions.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- When required, oversee contractors and order parts and supplies.
- Grade 12 or equivalent GED
- Must have and maintain Alberta Environment certification in:
- Water Treatment II
- Wastewater Treatment I
- Water Distribution II
- Wastewater Collection II
- Must have a minimum 3-year municipal water and wastewater experience.
- Will have a proven understanding of the operation and maintenance and will be capable of operating.
- Water treatment plant
- Water supply wells
- Wastewater treatment plant
- Wastewater lift stations
- Storm water lift stations and related facility
- Standard First Aid with CPR Level C
- WHMIS, H2S, and Confined Space entry & Reserve Level II certificates
- Must demonstrate initiative, decision making and problem solving skills
- Must be able to understand and comprehend verbal and written instructions.
- Basic Computer Skills – especially Microsoft Office Suite
- Possession of valid Class 5 Alberta Operators License
- Electrical/Instrumentation, process control, programming, plumbing, biological, mechanical, and water hydraulics aptitude
- Written and verbal communication skills
- Be able to work independently or within a team
- Strong leadership skills
- Physical strength and agility sufficient to perform the work of this position
- Maintain all relevant certifications
- Ability to read and interpret drawings
Additional Desirable Knowledge & Skills:
- Further AB Environment certification in Water Treatment, Water Distribution, Wastewater Treatment, and Wastewater Collection
- Water and Wastewater Technician program diploma