Legislative Services Supervisor
Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer, the Legislative Services Supervisor is to coordinate all activities required to plan, develop, and organize consistent governmental and organizational legislative procedures. This position oversees and manages the County’s legislative services, economic development, marketing, and communication functions.
- Coordinate legislative support to the Chief Administrative Officer, Council and all internal departments.
- Manage and maintain the municipal Policy Manual and Bylaw Register; guide the policy/by-law review process; assist with the development of policies/by-laws for all departments; and ensure municipal level legislation conflict is minimized.
- Overseeing the coordination and preparation of Council and Committee related agenda packages and ensuring meeting minutes are communicated in a timely, professional and accurate manner.
- Responsible to stay current and to provide research assistance and direction to other departments and Council in a variety of legislative and legal functions.
- Provide oversight and support in the development of policies and bylaws by County departments, while ensuring compliance with legislative requirements.
- Provide oversight and direction to the Communications Department on all corporate communications, both internally and externally while initiating, promoting, and encouraging effective communication strategies and practices.
- Work collaboratively with other county departments to identify objectives, advise and assist with strategic and practical communications solutions.
- Ensure that the County Website is well maintained and that current and correct information is displayed. Perform the lead role in planning upgrades and additions to the site. Liaise with contract support when repairs or enhancements are required.
- Serve as the Public Information Officer in the Emergency Operations Centre and provide further support as required in the event of a crisis or emergency.
- Ensure that provisions of the Municipal Government Act and other applicable statutes are complied with, and advise departments as required in order to ensure that legislative requirements are met.
- Assist in preparing and monitoring of the annual operating and capital budgets for the legislative department and preparation of the long-term financial capital plan.
- Oversee the County’s Records Management Program.
- Manage the Municipal Census.
- Act as FOIP Coordinator.
- Manage the Municipal Election by establishing processes in accordance with the Local Authorities Election Act and the Municipal Government Act.
- Commissioner of Oaths appointment.
- Other duties as assigned by the Chief Administrative Officer.
- Post-secondary degree in a related field.
- Minimum of three (3) years of relatable municipal experience
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Municipal Government Act, Local Authorities Elections Act and the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
- Ability to keep all matters confidential and protected from disclosure.
- Experience in a supervisory role would be considered an asset.
- Experience in marketing and economic development would considered an asset.
- Clean class 5 Drivers License.
- Defensive driving.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities.
- Strong analytical, research skills.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- University Degree in Business, Management, Communications or related field.
- Minimum of three (3) years experience in a municipal legislative services role.
- Completion or working towards certification in the National Advanced Certificate in Local Authority Administration (NACLAA).
- Knowledge and Experience in Roberts Rules of Order
- Work is conducted in an office environment with long periods of sitting and in a field environment requiring travel.
- Some after hour’s work may be required.
- Part of the Emergency Response Team.
The salary range is currently $88,214 to $111,663 per year. Yellowhead County offers a competitive benefit package.
Only those candidates being considered will be contacted.
To apply please submit resumes online at www.yhcounty.ca/jobs