Sturgeon County is looking for someone with the right combination of education and experience to join our team as a Legislative Officer. This position provides administrative support to Council and its committees as well as being responsible for the control and management of legislative documents. The Legislative Officer also acts as the secretary to the Assessment Review Board and the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board. If you know how to maintain confidentiality, have a good understanding of how municipalities run, and are known for being organized and meeting deadlines, then this is the perfect fit for you.
The position is hybrid - attendance is mandatory for Council meetings and Board meetings/hearings, but otherwise the majority of work can be completed remotely.
- Using Meeting Management Software, assembles and distributes Council agendas, arrange meeting facilities, schedule public presentations, record and transcribe Council minutes, prepare general correspondence, take follow-up action as required and maintain a record of outstanding items.
- Responsible for technical requirements associated with the Meeting Management Software along with training and troubleshooting.
- Assist with Council’s internal and external Boards and Committee appointment process.
- Coordinate recruitment and conduct interviews of Public Members for all Council-appointed Boards and Committees; maintain corresponding records.
- Assist in drafting and updating municipal policies and procedures and bylaws. Responsible for maintaining the indexes for both policies and bylaws.
- Act as Secretary for the Assessment Review Board: schedule hearings; mail notices; collect the appropriate fees; organize board members to attend hearings; prepare agenda packages; attend hearings and draft and distribute decisions. Coordinate mandatory training opportunities for the Board members.
- Act as Secretary for the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board: schedule hearings; mail notices; collect the appropriate fees; organize board members to attend hearings; prepare agenda packages; attend hearings and draft and distribute decisions. Assist in providing training for the Board members.
- Support the County's Records and Information Management Program through the maintenance, control, and disposition of the records for departments.
- Type legislative correspondence, reports and other related material as required.
- Respond to public inquiries both in person and on the phone relating to general legislative matters when required.
- Assists with the planning and administration of elections, by-elections, plebiscites, and censuses.
- Complete special projects as required.
- Adhere to applicable responsibilities and accountabilities as outlined in the Sturgeon County Health and Safety Management System.
Your competencies include excellent organizational and time management skills in order to work under the pressure of time limitations and constraints. You will possess an ability to maintain confidentiality regarding matters which affect the municipality, strong grammar and composition skills, high degree of accuracy in word processing, proficiently skilled in all Microsoft Office programs, as well as strong inter-personal skills. Aptitude to understand and follow complex written or oral instructions of a general nature and to complete the assigned tasks is very important. A special skill for this position requires you to be conversant with the nature of municipal government and a working knowledge of parliamentary procedure. This individual needs to work independently and in a team environment. Job is performed with high concentration effort.
This position requires successful completion of an Office Administration diploma or equivalent with formal training in minute taking, or a combination of related education and 3 – 5 years municipal experience. Completion of NACLAA I and NACLAA II would be a definite asset as well as membership in the Alberta Municipal Clerks’ Association. Experience with working with Council, Boards and Committees would be of great benefit to meeting the requirements of the position.
Interested? Please click here to apply!