The City of Spruce Grove is a fast growing, dynamic city committed to building and maintaining a fiscally responsible community that serves our residents, attracts visitors and promotes future growth. Through the actions of the Values We Live By, accountability, communication, leadership, integrity and respect are encouraged, while maintaining a work, play balance.
Do you have a keen eye for detail and process? Do commas or hyphens out of place catch your eye? Are you a natural teacher who enjoys supporting and teaching others processes and systems? Do you look for ways to improve user experience and build team? If yes, please continue to read on!
We are currently looking for a Legislative Advisor to add to our team.
You will be responsible for the City's legislative process including, administration of the Council Governance Process for all Council and Committee of the Whole Meetings. This position will support the City Clerk's Office in providing leadership, advice, and training to Council and Administration with regard to Council meeting procedure and governance processes. This position reports to the City Clerk.
- Coordination and preparation of Council and Committee of the Whole Meeting Agendas.
- Administer the electronic meeting management software and associated processes.
- Proofread all Requests for Decision
- Perform Recording Secretary duties for Council and Committee of the Whole Meetings.
- Prepare and distribute Council and Committee of the Whole Meeting Minutes.
- Maintain Council Chambers and collaborate with Information Services to ensure all audio visual and electronic systems are kept in a serviceable condition.
- In concert with Information Systems, liaise with software developers to troubleshoot operational issues with the electronic meeting management software.
- Recommend improvements to business processes that may be addressed in the software.
- Liaise with the public in presenting to Council.
- Respond to questions from Administration and the public with respect to the legislative process and the provision of information.
- Troubleshoot electronic devices and provide user training with respect to the electronic agenda process for Council.
- Support the implementation of Council business operations and protocols through the City Manager’s Office as required.
- Participate in Council agenda preparation.
- Provide advice on parliamentary procedure and natural justice principles.
- Maintain and support a framework of bylaws and policies regarding agenda development, meeting procedures, agenda review, meeting management, follow-up action items, Council agenda report writing, and drafting of resolutions/motions to support Council’s governance role.
Municipal Elections and Census
- Participate as part of the project team to ensure the successful coordination of municipal elections, by-elections and censuses.
As part of the departmental team and under the direction of the City Clerk:
- Participate in the development of project plans, arrange and facilitate various meetings, prepare meeting materials, write and prepare reports as required.
- Assist with the review bylaws and policies prior to approval to ensure cross-organizational consistency and compliance with established standards for grammar and formatting.
- Facilitate activities for the bylaw and policy reviews by communicating with employees across the organization at various levels.
- Provide legislative research, analysis, and briefing support for Council and Administration dealing with issues as they relate to the City Clerk’s Office.
- Review other relevant external policy direction as they relate to the business of the City Clerk’s Office and share information or provide recommendations for action as required.
- Diploma in business, administrative assistant, paralegal studies or equivalent.
- Three (3) to Five (5) years related experience. Municipal government experience, specifically in legislative services is an asset.
- A combination of experience and education will be considered.
How to Apply: Visit our website at www.sprucegrove.org for a full job description and more information about the City of Spruce Grove