Economic Development – Commercial Specialist
The City of Spruce Grove is a fast growing, dynamic city committed to building and maintaining a fiscally responsible community that serves our residents, attracts visitors, and promotes future growth. Through the actions of the Values, We Live By, accountability, communication, leadership, integrity, and respect are encouraged, while maintaining a work, play balance.
The Economic Development Commercial Specialist is responsible to promote and support the City's Economic Development goals in relation to the retention and attraction for the Commercial and Residential Sectors. The incumbent develops and maintains working relationships with business clients, land developers, external partners, and City departments. This position reports to the Director of Economic and Business Development.
- Promote business development initiatives.
- Contribute to policy and program development.
- Act as the first point of contact with businesses and land developers in the Commercial and Residential Sectors to resolve issues affecting competitiveness.
- Promote and attract multi-family and specialized residential development (assisted living, senior's facilities) in Spruce Grove.
- Attract and retain investment and market the community as a place to live and do business.
- Identify available commercial and residential lands and assist business and developers by providing timely information.
- Assist existing businesses in promoting their products and services.
- Manage market research, feasibility studies, and strategic plans associated with the Commercial and Residential Sectors.
- Take a leadership role in developing and implementing initiatives to improve Spruce Grove's City Centre district as a vibrant place for business and the community.
- Participate in the preparation of Requests for Proposals (RFP's), Requests for Decisions (RFD's), & GIS Maps, corporate planning process for the department.
Information and Promotion
- Identify the need for and develop a variety of promotional and marketing products to attract businesses and investors to the community, including community profile and promotional brochures, web site and videos, trade shows, and business and economic databases.
- Maintain the Commercial and Residential components on the Economic Development website including a database of real estate listings for sale and lease.
- Maintain the Sweet Life Found website.
- Engage with regional economic development organizations, other municipalities, business and community partners, and internal departments to promote the City's economic development goals.
- Attend economic development related conferences, workshops and seminars to keep current with latest trends.
- Coordinate City involvement in special events related to economic development initiatives such as the Public Markets, Winterfest etc.
- Represent the Economic and Business Development Department in meetings within the City Administration and with external stakeholders.
We are seeking a candidate with the following:
- Post-secondary Degree in Economics, Business, Marketing or equivalent.
- Five (5) to six (6) years related experience.
- A sound background in community economic and business development.
- The ability to effectively manage economic development and other related planning processes.
- The ability to conduct economic and market research.
Special consideration will be given to those who hold:
- Certification for Economic Development Specialist through a recognized professional program
The City of Spruce Grove is currently reviewing the salary of this position.
Visit our website at www.sprucegrove.org to view the full position description and to apply online.