Chief Administrative Officer
The Town of Irricana is recruiting a full time, permanent CAO. Irricana is a Town of just over 1200 people. It is a small, friendly community.
As the ideal candidate, you are a proven leader with:
- Strong communication skills.
- Financial management skills.
- Administrative management skills.
- Honesty and integrity.
- Ability to read the political implications of recommendations and actions.
- Municipal sector experience, with a minimum of 3 years as CAO and/or senior level management experience (Director/General Manager) is preferred.
- Demonstrated record of working effectively with elected officials, volunteers, committees and public participation processes and policy.
- A combination of municipal experience and leadership roles in other complex sectors will also be considered.
- A working knowledge with Unions and the union processes.
The Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) reports directly to Council and is responsible for the overall administration of municipal operations in accordance with provincial legislation and with the objectives, policies and plans approved by the Council. The CAO manages the operating and capital budget, bookkeeping, taxation, and provides strategic direction and monitors contracts and legislation.
Key Roles & Responsibilities:
- Keep the Mayor and Council informed of the operations of Irricana.
- Communicate with the Mayor and Council, in preparation of Agendas for Council meetings.
- Attend all meetings of Council, and certain committee meetings as required, and assist in the decision-making process by providing advice, guidance and consultation, as required.
- Co-ordinate, direct and supervise the implementation of the policies and programs of the Council.
- Keep the website updated, emails & newsletters to residents as needed.
- Enforce or cause to be enforced all By-Laws and resolutions of Irricana;
- Financial responsibilities including:
- Annual budget preparation and financial reporting of Irricana’s revenues and expenditures
- Reports to Council the revenue and expenditure reports compared with the approved budget with explanations of significant variations and account reallocations;
- Report to Council any other matter, either administrative or financial, that relates to the control of Irricana’s affairs.
- Liaison with other local governments and the Provincial Government when required.
- Ensure the prompt and proper handling of all requests, enquiries and complaints by residents of Irricana.
- The Chief Administrative Officer shall have the authority to make public statements where such statements do not contravene policy established by Council.
- Continue strong, collaborative and productive working relationships with the provincial government, the union and neighboring municipalities including joint contracts / cost sharing.
- Develop an atmosphere of trust and open communication with council, committees and residents.
Qualified candidates are requested to submit a cover letter, detailed resume outlining experience, education, qualifications and references in confidence to:
email@example.com. Questions may also be directed to the same email.
The closing date for this competition is noon on January 31, 2022.