Municipal Environmental Award
This award recognizes Alberta municipalities that have demonstrated excellence in environmental practices in their municipal operations, administration, and governance.
The Municipal Environmental Award is presented each year to:
- a Regular Member of Alberta Municipalities with a population of 2,500 or less;
- a Regular Member of Alberta Municipalities with a population of 2,500 to 10,000; and
- a Regular Member of Alberta Municipalities with a population of 10,000 or more.
To be considered for a Municipal Environmental Award, an Alberta municipality will demonstrate that its initiatives have:
- Leveraged best practices, innovation, and advanced technologies in the areas of:
- waste management, climate change mitigation and adaptation, energy efficiency and conservation, water and wastewater, urban wildlife management, brownfield management and redevelopment; or other environmental areas.
- Environmental impact and benefits
- Fostering behavioural changes
- Originality and innovation
- Community stakeholder involvement
- Transferability and scalability
- Social or economic impact or benefit
- Aligned with:
- Municipality's environmental plan and have been integrated into the municipality's day-to-day operations and decision-making structures.
- Municipality's strategy to monitor, review and update its environmental plan.
A Council, an Alberta Municipalities Standing Committee, or the Alberta Municipalities Board may nominate a member for the award by submitting a completed nomination form. Councils can self-nominate their municipality.
Prepare to submit your nomination:
- Download and complete the Municipal Environmental Award Questionnaire. Save the completed document as a Word or PDF file.
- Collect 4 – 6 digital photos (high resolution; JPG format) that showcase the nominee.
Complete the form below & submit your completed Municipal Environmental Award Questionnaire and digital photos.
Submissions must be received on or before June 16, 2023. No late submissions accepted.