Municipal Planner 1
Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the direction of the Agency’s Director, you will be:
- Preparing municipal development plans, land use bylaws, area structure plans, area redevelopment plans and related amendments.
- Processing, reviewing and providing comments on development applications for plans of subdivision, amendments to land use bylaws, development permits and related matters.
- Undertaking planning and special projects or studies related to population, land use, development trends, zoning, parks and recreation, environmental, economic development or related matters
- Responding to research requests and inquiries from area municipalities.
- Meeting, corresponding and making presentations on planning matters to councils, committees, boards and other authorities or groups.
- Processing subdivision applications, including initial processing, monitoring, decisions and review of final plans for the Director’s final endorsement. This may also include site inspections when deemed necessary.
- Liaising with municipal staff, elected officials, staff from public agencies, applicants or other as required to perform any of the above duties.
- Participating in the Agency general board/CAO meetings through reports and presentations.
- Providing assistance in the organization of and participation in, when required, the Agency’s seminars and workshops.
- Liaising with GIS staff in the production of maps for planning documents.
- Interacting with other staff members and maintaining positive working relationships in a team setting.
- Advancing and assisting with the implementation of the Agency’s Strategic Plan.
- Performing any other duties as required.
- Planning degree (bachelor’s or preferably a master’s degree).
- Member or eligible for membership of APPI and CIP.
- 3 to 5 years experience (a good combination of training and experience may be considered).
- Class 5 Driver’s license.
- Ability to effectively communicate complex technical information, orally and in writing, with contractors, developers, property owners, employees, consultants, other government agency representatives, members’ officials and the general public.
- Working knowledge and thorough understanding of relevant provincial legislation, policy development such as land use bylaws and statutory plans, including their formation, process of adoption, and enforcement.
- Ability to interact with the public and establish effective working relationships with internal and external contacts in a tactful, clear, concise and respectful manner both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to organize, coordinate, and complete tasks and projects efficiently.
- Ability to efficiently perform complex technical research and analysis, and convey into reports and studies. This includes social research methods and statistical analysis.
- Ability to accurately read maps, legal surveys and development plans.
- Ability to attend to details while keeping big-picture goals in mind.
Preferred (not required) Skills and Abilities:
- Proficient in ESRI GIS products (ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Online).
- Proficient in AutoCAD.
The Mackenzie Municipal Services Agency is currently looking for a Municipal Planner 1 to join our team. Located in Berwyn, Alberta, we provide a full range of professional land use planning services to our municipal members. We are a client-driven organization that has been providing leading edge Planning, GIS and Mapping services to local government entities in the North Peace region of Alberta for nearly 50 years.
With an extremely favorable housing market available to potential renters or purchasers, this is just the right opportunity you have been looking for to relocate to our beautiful area of the province, where you can finally afford the lifestyle you have been dreaming of.
This position is ideally suited to an experienced planner who wants to put their skills and knowledge to full use, and who enjoys the challenge and diversity of working with both rural and urban clients, on a diverse range of land use planning matters. You will work in a team environment with other exceptional staff members who share your vision of excellence in product delivery and customer service. We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits.
This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found so don’t wait…apply today!
Please forward your resume and cover letter to:
Mackenzie Municipal Services Agency
Attn. Executive Director
Berwyn, AB T0H 0E0
or by email to:
With the subject heading - “Municipal Planner 1 Position Application”
We look forward to welcoming you to our team!