DEPARTMENT: Community Services
LOCATION: Administration Offices - Valleyview, Alberta
STATUS: Accepting Applications until a suitable candidate is found.
Located in Northwest Alberta, the Municipal District of Greenview is a vast and diverse area rich in oil and gas, fertile farm-land, and mixed-wood forests. As the third-largest rural municipality in Alberta, Greenview boasts diversity in economic activities and an extraordinary landscape. Greenview’s economy is strengthened by its diversity, a talented workforce and an entrepreneurial spirit that is second to none. Our residents experience adventure right in their backyards with lakes, rivers, Rocky Mountain peaks and vast prairie offering a year-round outdoor playground for all ages.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reporting to the Manager, Agricultural Services, the Landcare Coordinator will be responsible for providing resources, expertise, and community outreach for Greenview, inclusive of all stakeholders. The coordinator will work closely with government agencies, intermunicipal partners, non-profits, and individual citizens in the community. The coordinator will organize and facilitate working group meetings, arrange public meetings, coordinate volunteers, and collect water samples as necessary.
- Vegetation assessments and ecosite classification.
- Working knowledge of Western Canadian soils; experience classifying, and interpreting soils is an asset.
- Demonstrated leadership, communication, and decision-making skills.
- Ability to lead, manage, plan, and conduct aquatic resource assessments and related work.
- Develop and maintain relationships with residents, ratepayers, external non-governmental organizations, and contractors.
- Outreach and Planning o Provide leadership in community outreach efforts related to wetland planning, including developing and disseminating outreach materials to stakeholders at venues such as community events and networking among agencies, organizations, and individuals. The coordinator will be responsible for outreach, such as assisting with preparing press releases, PowerPoint presentations and displays.
- Provide leadership in developing a municipal land and water management plan to be utilized by all municipal departments through collaboration with all departments, the local watershed planning and advisory committee, businesses and residents through the collection and analysis of land use and resource information, identification and clarification of stakeholder concerns, the establishment of goals, and supporting locally initiated strategies. The ability to identify pollutant sources, causes, and critical areas within the watershed are crucial.
- Coordinate Working Group Activities. Provide technical support to associated committees and working groups. Prepare project proposals utilizing the municipal priority matrix for project implementation consideration. Assist in preparing meeting agenda and coordinating activities to implement a project. Provide leadership to develop strong working relationships among committee and working group members, stakeholders, and other federal, provincial, local governments.
- Coordinate Rural Living Outreach and Extension Program activities. The Landcare coordinator will coordinate the outreach and extension activities for the Green Acreages program, rural living workshops and seminars, and any other applicable programs for the rural community. Assist program participants with grant applications for approved projects.
- Ability to interpret aerial photos, delineate potential wetlands through GIS mapping.
- Identification of potential environmental issues concerning proposed developments within Greenview.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS / EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE:
- To perform this job successfully, one must perform the duties listed above to a high degree of quality, timeliness, and precision.
- Minimum College level Diploma in Environmental Sciences Conservation and Restoration Ecology, or equivalent.
- Member in good standing, or ability to obtain designation with Alberta Institute of Agrologists or Alberta Society of Professional Biologists.
- Ideal candidate will have a minimum of 1-2 years of experience in a similar capacity
- Class 5 driver’s license.
- Working knowledge of legislative acts, including Alberta Land Stewardship Act, Water Act, Public Lands Act, Species at Risk Act.
- Working knowledge of GIS software and systems
- Advanced skills and knowledge in using MS Office Suite and data management
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Proven exceptional customer service skills
- Superior problem solving and troubleshooting skills are essential
- Strong willingness, capacity, and desire to learn
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL ENVIRONMENT:
- Extensive use of computers and field monitoring equipment
- Subject to working in an indoor and outdoor environment
- Use and operation of vehicles and ATVs
- The typical working day consists of 7.5 hours; however, occasional overtime or weekend work may be required.
HEALTH & SAFETY:
All personnel working at the Municipal District of Greenview are governed by the Municipal District Health & Safety Policy.
- Ensures all operations are conducted in a safe manner and in accordance with Municipal District Policies and Occupational Health & Safety Regulations.
- Ensure proper ergonomic requirements are met and good ergonomic procedures are practiced.
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent of this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and activities required of the position.
Interested candidates may submit cover letter and resume by December 15th in one of the following ways:
By E-mail: email@example.com
Mail or Drop Off:
Municipal District of Greenview No. 16
4806-36 Ave., Box 1079
Valleyview, Alberta T0H 3N0
Confidential Fax: 780-524-3981