The City of Spruce Grove is a fast growing, dynamic city committed to building and maintaining a fiscally responsible community that serves our residents, attracts visitors and promotes future growth. Through the actions of the Values We Live By, accountability, communication, leadership, integrity and respect are encouraged, while maintaining a work, play balance.
This position is responsible for research, planning, and engagement which support collaboration, leveraging community assets, addressing community needs and issues. The incumbent utilizes various social and community development approaches to work collaboratively with residents, various stakeholders, and local and regional community organizations. The work involves effective long-range planning, capacity development, and coordination of projects and initiatives to meet the social needs and aspirations of the community. This position carries various portfolios reflective of community and organizational priorities and reports to the Manager, Social Planning.
This is an 18-21 month position covering a leave with a guarantee of 35 hours per week. This position may have some evening and weekend work requirements.
Community Capacity Building
- Identify community issues, challenges and barriers as well as abilities capacities and strengths.
- Support projects that leverage the strengths and capacities of individuals, groups, and organizations in the community.
- Develop and facilitate processes that support the community to achieve their goals.
- Facilitate, develop, and promote opportunities that build and/or enhance a sense of community belonging and social well-being.
- Participate in community initiatives that promote and create opportunities for systemic change to address social issues.
- Facilitate networking and collaboration between organizations, groups, and individuals.
- Assist in organizational development and resource acquisition, where appropriate.
- Engage a diverse range of community members in opportunities that allow them to participate in various ways.
- Plan and implement formal public participation opportunities.
- Develop and maintain a strong inter-sectoral network.
- Represent the City of Spruce Grove on various initiatives, committees, coalitions, groups and networks locally and regionally.
- Build and maintain relationships and partnerships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Develop communication materials for various audiences that support awareness, education, and engagement to meet department or project objectives.
- Create, manage, and distribute marketing materials using various methods.
- Plan, coordinate, develop and manage short- and long-term projects/initiatives that respond to community needs and strengths.
- Ensure projects maintain scope, timelines, and budgets.
- Evaluate project performance to identify areas for improvement and adjust as required.
- Utilize change management processes to support project success.
Research and Evaluation
- Develop and use evaluation frameworks and methods to identify broad community impact and system-level changes.
- Identify key performance indicators for portfolios using logic models and theories of change.
- Conduct research utilizing various methods and methodologies.
- Report on outcomes and research findings.
- Mobilize and apply knowledge to address social issues and enhance social wellbeing.
- Bachelor's Degree in Humanities, Social Sciences, Child and Youth development, Education or other related field.
- Equivalent work experience directly related to community development may be considered.
- Five (5) to six (6) years of related work experience.
- Two (2) to five (5) years work or volunteer experience directly related to community development an asset.
- Experience in community-based research or outcome evaluation would be an asset.
The City of Spruce Grove is committed to taking every precaution reasonable to protect the health and safety of employees, their families, and the public. New employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of being hired. Proof of vaccination will be required before the start date.
Visit our website at www.sprucegrove.org for more information and to apply online.