Athabasca County is currently accepting applications for a full-time Communications Coordinator to enhance the development, delivery, and administration of the municipality’s communication and engagement strategies.
Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO), and working closely with senior leadership, the Communications Coordinator is responsible for the development, delivery, and administration of a full range of communication strategies and services to communicate municipal news and services, share Council and municipal goals and priorities, and engage the public.
- Develop, and maintain a strategic communication plan for Athabasca County to increase public awareness regarding Council initiatives, services, programs, projects, and public engagement events through various channels including website, print, and social media.
- Work with the CAO and senior team members to develop and schedule timely and appropriate communications for evolving and emerging issues, projects, services and events in accordance with Council direction.
- Assist with the preparation of correspondence, press releases, advertising, and other communications to the public from copy, draft, or oral instructions.
- Proactively identify issues or information to share with County residents.
- Develop communication protocols and procedures for internal and external communication.
- Work with staff and Council to increase the awarements of the importance of a consistent visual identity ross all programs and communications products.
- Design and support the production of print and digital materials including, but not limited to, advertisements, publications, posters, newsletters, event and service materials.
- Streamline, manage and update the County website and social media presence and content.
- Responsible for the video streaming and management of all required Council meetings via County YouTube account.
- Function as the County’s media liaison including coordinating media response messages, directing inquiries to the appropriate contact(s), and organizing interviews.
- Foster positive relationships with media, elected officials, and community groups, including collaboration with regional partners and key stakeholders.
- Identify target audiences and media outlets to maximize impact of announcements.
- Provide media monitoring for accuracy of information related to County business, programming, and/or Council decisions.
- Assist in the application process of grant funding programs available to the County.
- Perform duties of the Public Information Officer under the Emergency Management Plan.
- Other related work and projects as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
- Degree or Diploma in Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, Public Administration or related discipline.
- A minimum of 2-3 years’ of related experience, preferably within a municipal government setting.
- Considerable knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques of communications work, including issues management, public engagement, and media relations.
- Superior written and oral communication skills with effective writing, editing and presentation skills.
- High level analytical thinking and the ability to interpret and apply legislation.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Publisher).
- Advanced working knowledge in website and social media content management.
- Proven capability to maintain confidentiality and to exercise a high degree of tact, diplomacy and discretion.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their resume to:
Human Resources Manager
3602 - 48 Avenue
Athabasca, AB T9S 1M8
RE: Communications Coordinator
This posting will remain open until February 14, 2023, or until a suitable candidate is found. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.